As we begin to adapt to the crisp fall air and the leaves start to crunch beneath our feet, it is time to enjoy our favorite fall activities. This time of year is an excellent time for families to take a break from their busy schedules to venture outside and enjoy everything the Finger Lakes Region has to offer this season. In this week’s column, I want to share some fun fall activities that will inspire you to go out and enjoy the picturesque Finger Lakes landscape with your loved ones.
TIME TO ENJOY THE CHANGE OF SEASONS
One of the most wonderful things about being a New Yorker is watching the seasons change. From leaf peeping to fresh cider donuts and apple picking, the fall offers a unique natural landscape and unparalleled outdoor recreational opportunities. With so much to do and see, I encourage you to relish in some of the memorable sights and activities right here in the Finger Lakes Region:
- Ready to do some sightseeing? Get the latest fall foliage updates at http://www.iloveny.com/seasons/fall/foliage-report/.
- Before venturing out to see the fall foliage, be sure to grab this handy Leaf Identifier guide to New York leaves. This tool is a fun way to do some hands-on learning with the kids. Challenge yourselves to see how many different types of leaves you can find. Get the guide at http://www.iloveny.com/seasons/fall/leaf-identifier/.
PLAN A TRIP WITH THE FAMILY IN THE FINGER LAKES
Celebrating fall is an excellent excuse to pack the car and hit the road to visit a few of the beautiful towns in our region. Here are some day trip ideas to get you started:
- Bristol Mountain Fall Foliage Sky rides are something you don’t want to miss out on. Take a seat on Bristol’s comet express chairlift and enjoy the beautiful scenery with family and friends. For more information, visit http://visitfingerlakes.com/events/974/bristol-mountain-fall-foliage-sky-rides/.
- Check out Hardy’s Farm Market in Victor as it hosts Fall Family Fun Days. This weekly event includes pony rides, wagon rides and a corn maze, among other exciting attractions. For more information, visit http://visitfingerlakes.com/fall-finger-lakes/.
- Save the date for October 25 as we celebrate the annual Fall into Canandaigua Festival. A day full of fun with pumpkin carvings, horse-drawn wagon rides, foods and more. And don’t forget to dress up for the costume parade and contest. For more information, visit http://www.downtowncanandaigua.com/events/fall-into-canandaigua/.
ADVENTURING IN THE FINGER LAKES BUILDS COMMUNITY, ECONOMY
The Finger Lakes are renowned for having some of the best small businesses and hardest-working local farmers in the state. With the support of Finger Lakes residents and travelers from around the state, country and world, we will continue to prosper. By attending festivals, stopping by your local farmers’ market or just going outside to enjoy the natural beauty, you are helping to grow the bonds of our community. I want to offer a heartfelt “thank you” to all of you who help make the region a wonderful place to live, work and raise a family.